Sunday, September 21, 2014

Nurses: Angels in disguise

When someone asks me what I do, I proudly tell them I am a nurse.
I live in Singapore. The notion here is that nurses are "highly-paid maids". Not much of a respected profession. Not even by our allied healthcare staff:/
I am one to admit that for someone who is in the business of saving lives, we are not being paid well. Not being paid enough. Not many people can let alone stand the thought of being a nurse.
I am not suprised though. I can give you a long list of why people do not give nursing a second look as their career choice. Not paid properly, dealing with sick "contagious" people, dealing with bodily fluids, dealing with family members, dealing with the different emotions from your patients, family members and allied health staffs, juggling 10-12 patients live on a basic 8-12hrs period, no toilet breaks,no water breaks, paperwork, dealing with non-nursing colleagues, patient service quality, and death are just to name a few..

But ask me why nurses are so special, and I'll tell you.
That one moment where a patient or a family member says to you "thank you" is priceless.
Those words may just seem so mediocre but what they truly meant to say is "Thank you for taking care of my loved one when I did not know how to." I feel blessed to be able to help add quality years to my patients life through the work I do, cause it allows them to spend more precious moments with their loved ones when they get home.. And it is funny how this effect reverts back to us cause then we start to appreciate our loved ones even more..
In the work that we do for our patients, truly we are giving them the 'Gift of Time'.
Aint nothing more special than that. :)

No comments: